Geelong Field Naturalists Club
The club holds monthly meetings (via a mix of Zoom and face to face) and excursions.
Most meetings have presentations from specialists in aspects of natural history and conservation.
Info on how to join is here
As 2023 is the 60th year of the GFNC's You Yangs Boneseed Control Program, we're appealing to your 'sense of occasion' and inviting you to be part of this significant milestone year. The club’s ongoing commitment to this project is an example of what can be achieved through perseverance in the face of what many consider an insurmountable undertaking.
Where: The Saddle
- Take the sealed road to the Turntable which is clearly marked with Parks Victoria signs
- Our assembly area is reached via Rockwell Rd. The entry gate to Rockwell Rd is located to the right of the toilet block
- The gate will be unlocked at 8.45.a.m. and at 9.00 a.m. we will travel in convoy to our assembly area; likewise at 3.00 p.m. for departure
- If you arrive after 9.00 a.m. the gate will be closed but unlocked
- Rangers are happy to leave the gate unlocked provided you close it after entry or exit
- There will be a witch’s hat in front of the gate to deter visitors parking over the painted 'NO PARKING' sign, remove and reposition as required on entry or exit.
NOTE: When travelling from the Rockwell Rd access gate to our assembly area Parks Victoria requires all vehicles to have HAZARD LIGHTS OPERATING. This is due to many hikers/families using Rockwell Rd as a walking track so the road is considered a shared zone. Please be mindful of this if you arrive late or leave early and adjust your speed accordingly i.e. 20 km or less.
Bring: Gloves, eye protection (some safety glasses will be available if you don’t have any), mattock (optional). Wear suitable clothing i.e. long sleeves/trousers, high visibility vest/top and robust footwear. Plus bring morning tea/lunch, sunscreen, hat, rain gear (depending on weather forecast), camera, binoculars.